In a recent press release, Squaw Valley has stated that they are working around the clock to correct an instance of contamination to one of their ski resort water supply systems. They first detected the contamination on November 8, 2016, during routine water testing. It was then that they noticed the presence of E. coli and coliform bacteria. The reason for this contamination is because of heavy October rain that flooded into the upper mountain water supply. Once detected, the contamination was immediately reported to Placer County Environmental Health.
The Squaw Valley ski resort closed all of the restaurants on the upper mountain and made a point to provide their customers with bottled water until this issue can be resolved. In more recent tests there was no E. coli detected and very low levels of coliform present in the tested water. Squaw Valley is committed to the safety and well-being of their customers and is taking every precaution to ensure the safety of everyone on the mountain. They will keep everyone updated as information becomes available.
Squaw Valley wants people to know that the contamination was isolated to only the upper mountain area and none of the other water systems were affected. The upper mountain ski resort area remains open but the water is not yet been authorized to drink and the restaurants will remain closed until the all-clear is given via water test results. No illnesses were reported from the incident and the ski resort is confident that the water will be clean to drink in a short period of time.